Translate

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Weeked Brunch Project : Croissant Sandwiches

I don't have the mood to start my assignment (...again) so I decided to do something productive at home. Lately, the frequency of my mood swing was quite rampant that I prefer to stay at home most of the time. I have to be frugal anyway as I am no longer working and rely heavily on my student's allowance. 

Frugality make me really into Aussie supermarket or home brand products. They are cheap, taste good, look good and value for money. Like UK, I find some Aussie grown or made products are exceptional. From fresh produce to daily bakes. In London, I love the Sainsbury butter brioche. In Brisbane I love COLES butter croissant. It is the nearest I can get like the one I often had in Paris.

Yesterday, I decided to make that short trip to the nearest supermarket more interesting by creating a challenge - you have AUD 15.00 and try to create nice meal with AUD 15.00. Why AUD 15.00? Well, it is based on how much I usually spend if I eat out, in any cafes, foodcourt or restaurants of my choice in Brisbane. Of course, I will never go to fancy/posh Michelin star restaurants. Admittedly, the portion are bigger here but for me if we compare "dollar to dollar" ... it is quite hard to get a complete meal at AUD 5. At least in Kuching or Penang, a nice bowl of mee can be around RM 5 with drink - if u know where to look!


Anyway, domestic goods generally are not cheap here in Australia too, based on my experience in Brisbane of course. I compared the price to UK and some European countries that I have visited based on dolar to dolar concept, I find it slightly higher here. Anyway AUD 15 got me all of those items above and what did I turn it into?


Two sandwiches, and I still have 2 croissants left. Know what, I bought a simple ham and cheese in uni the other day and  it cost me AUD 3.90 ... yea just ham and cheese! Huhuhu! Will finish the rest off tomorrow. With AUD 15, I can feed 4 person plus a salad bowl made with the leftover salad leaves, smoked salmon, turkey breast and salami. Huhuhu!

By the way ... this project was also inspired by one lecture back in KL for new undergrads before going overseas titled "Life is more than just 2 minutes noodle". I just hope ... students who don't like to cook but want something nice to eat to find this information useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment