Translate

Friday, September 13, 2013

Recipe Testing: Hong Kong Styled French Toast

This morning I saw sandwich bread masih banyak at the kitchen counter. OK ... I am not fan of bread and kadang-kadang geram jugak tgk my housemate beli but never finish it. What a waste!

Tiba-tiba mak teringat dengan French Toast. The best French Toast I have ever tasted was in Hong Kong, in Mido Cafe to be exact. I tried it with condensed milk instead of golden syrup, washed down with ice red bean with milk drink. It was HEAVEN!

Believe it or not, I never made French Toast. Makan ada lah sekali dua but it is not something yang boleh dianggap sebagai favourite. So this morning I decided that I am going to make that  Hong-Kong Styled French Toast. And this dish is listed number 38 on the World's 50 most delicious foods compiled by CNN Go in 2011.

I googled some Hong Kong Styled French Toast recipes and ok ... they have quite a number of variation as well. Hmmm ... so I decided to make the basic way so that I can enjoy it a number of ways!

Recipe (modified from Huffingtonpost.com)

Ingredients
Slices of thick, white bread
2 eggs

Vegetable oil

Preparation

1. Cut crust off of white bread slices.
2. Whip up the two eggs and thoroughly coat the pieces of white bread. Don't over-soak or saturate the slices.
3. Fry pieces of egg batter soaked bread in a frying pan with copious amounts of cooking oil on medium-high to high heat.
4. Fry until slices are golden brown.


Ok now ... let's see how I handle this recipe.

Ok ... I didn't cut the crust off hehehe

I didn't use a lot of oil to fry (but still a lot by Western standard I guess)

Hmm ... looks quite promising hehehe

Taraaaaaa ... HK style French Toast ready to be enjoyed.

Okay this is how I will enjoy it ... both sweet and savoury.

Yummmssss ... I love this better than pancakes.

Okay I also did some slight variations (mentang-mentang dah expert) ... these are with fillings and then halves before frying to make mini French Toast hehehe

Nutella, Marmalade, Butter and Maple Syrup and Condensed Milk fillings

Mini French Toast

Verdict: I still love the basic way of making it so that we could enjoy it with maple syrup, condensed milk, yogurt, mayonaise or tomato ketcup instead of with fillings and drizzle with syrups and butter.

So don't throw that stale bread away ... turn it into something nyums! Selamat Mencuba ...

Love From Down Under,
MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment